Thursday, May 3, 2007

52 Pickup with Live Humans

You guys, the imaginary readers I have, you know the game 52 Pickup right? You take a deck of cards and ask a gullible sort if they want to play a card game. You then throw all the cards into the air and let them fall to the floor. Grinning like a maniac, you then say "Pick em up".

The game was so funny when I was a kid. It's gotten a lot less funny as I've gotten older. Mostly because I've seen it before. Imagine my surprise when I found out that, in fact, that is exactly how re-orgs are done at the company I work for. The POWERS THAT BE take the employees in their charge and place them into a pile and then proceed to toss them into the air like a kid with an awesome pile of autumn leaves.

This is madness. It's done without regard to geography, skills or products known. Our systems engineer hasn't been contacted by his new boss. I'm listed as living in Minneapolis....as if.

One of the outcomes of the eventual resolution of my mid-life crisis will be to work at a place that I like doing something I want to do on an almost daily basis.

No comments: